Make your own free website on
British Center for Bigfoot Research.
The Southern Oregon Bigfoot Society


Mission Statement.
What is a Bigfoot / Sasquatch?
Latest News.
Caught On Camera.
The Southern Oregon Bigfoot Society
Message Board & Polls.

The Southern Oregon Bigoot Society.

The Southern Oregon Bigfoot Society (SOBS) are based in Grants Pass, Josephine County, Oregon. Dr Matthew Johnson co-founded the SOBS after an encounter with a Sasquatch in The Oregon Caves National Park. Dr Johnson is a licensed clinical psychologist. Another founding member of the SOBS is Ray Rosa, a former US Navy sailor who served in the Persian Gulf War.

Dr Matthew Johnson

Dr Matthew Johnson

Founder of the Southern Oregon bigfoot Society, Matt Johnson is very persistent in finding the answer to the existence of bigfoot. Matt was a resident of Alaska for over 20 years and is very familiar with the woods and the animals contained within it. Matt prides himself on public education and tries to ensure that the public is aware that bigfoot does indeed exist.


Ray Rosa

A former U.S. Navy sailor who served in the Persian Gulf War, Ray Rosa is one of the founding members and (webdeveloper/graphic artist) for the Southern Oregon Bigfoot Society. He is an avid outdoorsman that has lived in and hunted big game in Alaska. He has also lived in various other regions throughout the northwest. He has been studying the existence of bigfoot for over 10 years now and has came across extensive evidence of bigfoot's existence.

The SOBS have organised a number of expeditions into the Forests near Grants Pass. They have found numerous items of evidence including many footprints, hand prints, hair samples, boulders placed in the middle of a road too heavy for a man to lift, trees with a diameter of 5-6 inches snapped off at the ten foot level. They have also found teeth marks in fruit with a span of 3 inches between the canines. On their last outing of 2001 they caught sight of one of the creatures on a logging road. Ray Rosa estimated the animal to weigh between 800 and 900 lbs.

This area in Southern Oregon appears to be a hot spot for Bigfoot activity, it is here that I feel would be a good place to carry out our own expedition.

We will use the techniques that were successfully employed by the SOBS. These techniques include:

1) The use of recorded Sasquatch vocalisations. We will play these back at high volume in the middle of the night. The sound carries for miles and a response is often heard. If we hear a response we will be able to determine the direction of the creature and estimate the distance between us.

2)Bait piles. These piles are made up of fruit and vegetables to try and lure the Sasquatch. We will set up trigger cameras which we hope will film the creature. This method has proven successful in the past, although the trigger cameras were not used. Setting the bait in damp / soft ground increases the chances of obtaining good footprints and handprints.

Visit the SOBS website:

S.O.B.S Expedition Reports

The following reports are from past research outings conducted by the Southern Oregon Bigfoot Society. The first is from their most successful outing in August 2001. The second is their most recent.


S.O.B.S Expedition - August 2001

Report by Dr. Matthew Johnson

We set up tents on Friday night and two separate Bigfoot screams were heard from one of the three valleys within our research area.  One scream was far away on the other ridge and the other scream was closer to our camp.

We blasted out Bigfoot screams on Friday night.  Responses consisted of breaking brush, breaking branches, grunts and growls near our camp.

Saturday morning and afternoon consisted of finding more foot prints and casting them.  Everyone in the SOBS group agrees that it is getting pretty old and boring collecting more and more Bigfoot casts.

Saturday evening, we blasted out sounds again.  All the guys were down three separate logging roads in the pitch dark of night.

One of the groups heard movement in the brush and trees below the logging road (this group did not have night vision equipment).  The Bigfoot started coming up the hill but one of the groups member's watch beeped.  The Bigfoot stopped moving.  How do I know it was a Bigfoot? Please continue to read.

15 minutes later, a member of the group started clicking rocks and stomping on the ground.  The Bigfoot started moving up the hill again and stepped out on to the logging road about 70 yards away from the group.  It started walking down the logging road right toward two of the members who were closer to it (i.e., their group was spread out on the road).  Unfortunately, one of those two members closest to the Bigfoot was a high school sophomore on his first expedition.  HE FREAKED OUT, started yelling, and turned on his flashlight.  The Bigfoot was illuminated, turned around and ran about 50 feet down the road, took a right and ran up the bank into the brush and trees.  Two group members ran down the road after it and illuminated the Bigfoot again as it was running up the hill through the brush and trees.  They saw the shoulders and head as it moved up the hill away from the group.  It was estimated to be approximately nine feet tall.  NOTE:  We discussed this encounter in detail on Sunday morning and we do not believe the Bigfoot was being aggressive.  We believe it had a clear view of our members but still chose to walk toward them.  It was not bluff charging.  It would have continued walking toward them if our adolescent member hadn't freaked out, yelled, and turned on his flashlight.  We strongly believe that it was making some sort of effort at a nonaggressive contact with our group.  Perhaps to say "thank you" for all the goodies we have been feeding it twice per week via our bait piles.

The group came back to camp overwhelmed with excitement and fear.  The two group members that were at the front point of the encounter were practically in tears.  I called in all the other men from the other logging roads and we immediately went back out to the spot of the encounter.  We had no more visual but the Bigfoot could be heard with special equipment moving about in the brush and trees, growling and grunting.  After about one and a half hours, we returned to camp.

The next morning, I walked out in the direction of our group's encounter and contact with Bigfoot.  While in route, we came across an area with a putrid odor that was exactly like the odor that my family smelled last year at the Oregon Caves.  Needless to say, we stopped and listened for awhile.  The position of the odor left me thinking that it could have been up on the hill watching our camp the entire night.

We reached the bank and saw obvious marks of a Bigfoot running up a bank to the hill above.  Wow!!!

Later on Sunday morning, more Bigfoot grunts and hootings were heard by several group members, as well as a crashing rock in brush and trees.

It appears that our diligence is paying off.  We have spent almost one entire year in the same research area going over it with a fine tooth comb.  We have obtained track evidence of three Bigfoot families in the area.  Each family has it's own valley with it's own water source.  The last few months, we have been feeding them twice per week.  They are husking the corn, peeling the bananas, and leaving hand prints in the ground.  Finally, I believe they are now trusting us enough to make us aware of their presence.



S.O.B.S. Expedition - May 2002

Report by Dr. Matthew Johnson

Im going to keep this very brief and to the point.  The Southern Oregon Bigfoot Society (S.O.B.S.) has officially become a non-profit organization.  We just had an expedition this past weekend (May 17-19).  Wow!!!  In a nutshell, the scenery was beautiful as always, the people were hard workers and fun to spend time with, and we learned a whole bunch again.  

What did we learn?  Well, they (i.e., plural for more than one Bigfoot animal) really like bananas and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.  Everywhere we left a bunch of bananas (i.e., as in 6-8 bananas all connected together at the stem), they took them (i.e., carried them away).  Also, everywhere we left peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (grape jelly), they took them too.  This time, they left behind the corn on the cob and the canned meat (i.e., they gravitated toward the sweet stuff).  We left these items in three separate bait piles as well as along the logging road in between the three bait piles.

Something else that is interesting is the fact that they hit the two bait piles without the infrared light on it.  However, the bait pile that was monitored with a wireless survelience camera, infrared floodlight, and TV monitor (i.e., compliments of Don Moser) was not touched.  They hit everything everywhere else except for the monitored bait pile.  Ugh!!!!  We had a T.V. monitor at our base camp which was being watched all night long.

We had some excitement on Saturday night (May 18th).  We set up a bait pile on the logging road approximately 250 yards away from our camp.  We positioned a seismic sensor next to the bait pile.  It was turned down to the lowest possible level so only a very heavy footed animal could trigger the sensor.    Within 15 minutes of leaving the bait pile, they hit it.  Once again, they left the corn and canned meat behind.  However, in one swoop, they managed to pick up a couple peanut butter and jelly sandwiches along with a bunch of bananas.  Can a cougar or black bear pick up all of these items in one swoop with their mouth?  I dont think so.  We turned the million candle flashlight on within 10 seconds of the seismic sensor sounding the alarm that something was hitting the bait pile, we didnt see a thing.  They were already gone.

If that wasnt enough excitement for the night, we also heard movement within the trees and brush near our base camp Saturday night.  We became very hypervigilent at that moment.  Now here comes the unexplainable, while the movement was going on in the bushes and trees at night very near our base camp by something heavy footed, there was also a faint "beep beep beep beep" electronic sound coming from the trees and brush too.  The question is:  "Can the Bigfoot species imitate sounds so closely that they can imitate an electronic beeping sound from our camp?"  (..that was obviously not coming from our camp at the time we were hearing the sounds coming from the trees and brush).  We are still trying to figure this one out.  Any ideas?

Finally, on Sunday, early in the afternoon (May 19, 2002), everyone left the base camp area with the exception of Don Moser (i.e., our electronics wizard and survelience expert) and me.  We were removing the survelience equipment from our research area and setting up a different system to monitor the base camp area to see what walks through it after we leave.  The reason for doing this is because we usually find lots of Bigfoot tracks in our base camp area after each expedition.  Well, while setting up the equipment, a very deep, base-like, mammalian growl came from behind some trees and brush near Don.  His eyes widened and he froze.  My eyes widened too and I froze.  After a few seconds, I said, "Lets just keep acting normal and continue to set up the equipment.  Lets act like we didnt even hear what we just heard."  Then I walked across the dirt culdesac at our base camp to the brush and trees near where we set up the seismic sensor.  To be honest, I wanted a little room between myself and whatever it was that was near Don.  I stood there for about a minute watching the trees and brush behind Don and didnt see anything.  However, about 30 feet or less behind me in the brush and trees came a very deep, base-like, mammalian growl.  My eyes widened again and I froze.  The hair stood up on the back of my neck.  After about 10 seconds, I walked away from the edge of the dirt to the middle of the culdesac and turned to look at the brush and trees behind me.  I could see nothing.  Don finished setting up the equipment and we left the area.  By the way, these were most definitely NOT cougar or bear growls!!!

Tonight (Tuesday, May 21, 2002), Dr. Bill York (wildlife biologist), Ray Rosa, and myself will go up to the base camp area to restock the bait piles and to retrieve the survelience equipment to see if theres anything captured on tape.  Our group is so very fortunate to have Don Moser as a part of our research team.  The boy has some serious courage/guts to hold his ground and finish his work in light of how close that growl sounded.  I was very impressed.

The Southern Oregon Bigfoot Society will continue to have expeditions throughout this summer.  If you are serious/credible Bigfoot Researcher, a media professional, and/or an interested novice and would like to join us this summer, please send me an e-mail.  Theyre back, theyre territorial, and theyre feeling more and more comfortable within our presence to let us know theyre in the area.  The bait piles are helping us to gain their trust.  If you have any ideas and/or suggestions, please let me know.  Were going to crack the Bigfoot mystery sooner than later.